Wednesday, June 30, 2010

the slightest touch

The slightest touch moved me this weekend. It was a touch so soft I barely even realized it happened. But I think it was a sign of great love and trust. It came from our cat, Bennie.

Now hang on before you jump to the conclusion that I’m just being a sappy pet lover that thinks that everything her pets do are the most precious things in the world. (Well, I DO think that way but there’s more to this entry than just sappy pet schmooze.)

Normally Ben is way to cool for any kind of show of affection. When he does show affection, you better appreciate it because it will only last a brief moment before he darts off in fear of being discovered that he was being a softy. He likes to be known as tough cat, yet a cat with a sense of humor.

It was the weekend morning that I wrote about in my last entry. I was reading a book and he jumped up to lay next to me….a rare thing….but then I looked down and he had reached over and gently placed a paw on my foot. He reached over….the paw didn’t just randomly lay on my foot. He then closed his eyes and started to knead my foot (for lack of a better word).


Okay call me crazy, but I felt love and trust in that slight touch. His love and trust was overwhelming in that moment.


I’m glad I had that moment with Ben. It was a much appreciated random act of kindness, love, and trust.

Okay, now I’m going to go all philosophical….I hope that I don’t miss other small random acts like this from people. Some people find it hard to show others that they care. A smile may be as much as they can give. With big huggers and demonstrative people it’s easy….but what about those that aren’t comfortable with affection? They still feel love, but they may be very uncomfortable showing any sort of affection.

I think I’ll watch for those tiny random acts of love more. I’m also going to show a little more affection too. Don’t worry I won’t be mauling everyone with hugs every five minutes, but I am going to try for more small random actions that show I care.


hmmm...we can learn alot from animals.

1 comment:

  1. Kent here. Yep, Bennie can surprise you with unexpected "oh, by the way... I like you" actions. It is nice. He once spent a couple of minutes kneading my leg and purring.

    Don't pay any attention to him and do not try to pet him when he's throwin' some love your way. He'll meow and hit the road.

    Maggie, the dog, is completely opposite. She'll completely overwhelm you with her love expression.

    I have to say, Tess, I'll take your hug every 5 minutes! :-)

    Love you! Kent

    ReplyDelete