Wednesday, July 28, 2010

a summer favorite

A slice of whole grain bread, fresh-picked tomatoes from my garden, some seasoned salt (Trader Joe's everyday seasoning that comes in its own grinder is really good)and a yummy kind of cheese.



Put it all under the broiler (in the appropriate order, of course) and YUM! A tomato and cheese sandwich! A favorite summer dinner of mine!

Now typically, I put the sliced tomato on the bread, sprinkle it with some seasoning and top it with cheddar cheese. But Brian suggested the shredded parmesan that we have in the fridge.



That was JUST as good as my usual cheddar variety. Kent then suggested the crumbled blue cheese we have in the fridge so I tried that too!



Really good, but I think the cheddar or shredded parmesan are better because of their saltiness.

I've tried fancying it up by adding meats and other vegies, but somethings are best left in their simplest form.

Okay, speaking of cooking, I really have to bring up the question that I've been pondering for a couple of years now.

What would make a woman suddenly lose her love of cooking? AND suddenly become a really crappy cook? I used to LOVE experimenting in the kitchen and the majority of the time my creations were GREAT!

I have to admit that my standard "the ingredients are changing not me" theory is flawed. There are still a lot of people making delicious food...so I hate admit that maybe it's the cook...and not the ingredients.

My other theory is that its just not as much fun to cook for two people as for an entire family. But then why do my dinners just not taste as good anymore when I AM cooking for the entire family?

I am in denial and still play the role of the good cook by exchanging recipes with friends and family....by subscribing to the Food Network magazine



...and by watching the Food Network....but DAMN...I still don't enjoy cooking meals and when I do, they're really not very tasty!

I just don't get it.

7 comments:

  1. Keep trying, Mom. I still think it's a confidence issue. :) Just have fun with stuff. The meals I've experimented with have turned out just fine. Have fun with it.

    And I appreciate the giant pepper garnish on your sandwich picture. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grandma Hoppe used to say her food never tasted as good as the food somone else cooked. The answer is simple...........Kent and Biran should do all the cooking at home. You can cook when you are inspired such as tomato sandwiches, which by the way, sound nasty to those of us who hate tomatoes. I can't believe Kent eats them even if they are covered in blue chesse. Love to all, J

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brian: I was going to write a comment under that picture and say "I didn't really eat that hot pepper....it just adds nice color." But I couldn't see where to add a caption on the pictures.

    Julie: GOOD IDEA about K&B cooking! :-) Kent didn't eat the tomato sandwich. It was one of our many 'fend for yourself' nights. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, there is no special way to add a picture caption, I usually just center the text that is right under the picture and Brian italicizes his too. Then it looks different from the rest like a caption but it's really just part of the regular writing.

    A tomato sandwich sounds good. have you ever had grilled cheese with a few tomatoes in it? That is delicious too.

    Maybe if you make some things you know always turn out good cooking with become fun again and you will get your confidence back. (But I've never been good at cooking so that's just a guess.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A confidence issue? Really? I don't know...why after all these years of being very happy with my cooking and really enjoying it would my confidence suddenly diminish? I think maybe I got bored with cooking and it became more of a chore. I used to kick people out of the kitchen and just have them sit on a stool and talk to me...now I love having people cook for me! Like my mothers day dinner from LInds and Logan...I LOVED that! And when Brian whips up something I totally enjoy it!

    But I want to get my love of cooking back. I have two different options that I'm thinking about:

    1) to start back with the basics. Just simple food with simple spices. Simple but delicious.

    2) to dig into new cookbooks and try things I've never tried before to bring back the excitement.

    I'm just not sure which tactic will work....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kent here. Nope, I won't be eatin' those 'mater sammaches. I must admit, though, they did look appealing.

    Sure, I'll cook! Banquet chicken, junk on the grill or frozen za. You pick.

    For the record, Tess is a fab cook!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I agree. I think she is being hard on herself. Tess, cook when you want and have them fend for themselves the reat of the time. Love to all, J

    ReplyDelete